By Sam Yang - Get similar updates here
With our clients, their homework is literally homework. Our job is to act as educators. Our goal is to have them more educated than 90% of the fitness professionals out there.
Now everyone can read what our clients are reading.
- My perspective as a coach - The attitude changes you must make if you want to get in shape and live a happy life.
- A video interview - My thoughts on mindset, fitness, creating change, and habits.
- I am Sam's loser mindset - What goes through my mind during any intense situation.
- Six mental prerequisites for physical change - If you want to change how you look, you better start with your mental conditioning.
- The art of getting things done - If you want to get things done, focus on actions not innate abilities.
- Shoshin: The Beginner's Mind - The optimal mindset one must adopt in trying to create change.
- Fat vs weight vs calories - You have to re-evaluate everything you believe if you want to actually make permanent changes this time around because you know you've already tried it all.
- What getting punched in the face taught me about conflict - How any conflict can be compared to a punch to the face.
- How to have a healthy day - Simple actionable steps to have a winning day.
- The paradigm of enjoyment - People tend to stop doing things if the only reason for doing it is because you like doing it. Why do martial artists commit to a lifetime of practice?
- The happiness article - A guide to defining what happiness truly means.
- Subtract to add - How to strip away the layers until you get to what's important.
- The upside to stress- Why the way you view stress matters. Lots of good videos at the bottom if you're a fan of TED talks.
- An open letter to clients - If you can't handle failure, how will you ever handle success?
- Guide to healthy living - Some good practices to increase health at the cellular level.
- Why salads, diet coke, and the gym will make you fat - How we use emotional reasoning to screw ourselves over.
- The catharsis trap - How venting and complaining doesn't work.
- How long to lose 20lbs? - That's like asking me how long it will take for you to chop down a tree. You're the one chopping it down, I just sharpen your axe and teach you how to swing.
- Anti-gravity stretches - To improve posture, reduce pain, and give you more energy.
- Raw client data for weight loss - Over a 4 year span, the methods to lose weight and why people lose motivation.
- A visual guide to posture - An easy to follow guide with some videos on how to correct posture, the hazards of poor posture, and a video by psychologist Amy Cuddy on how posture affects our personality.
- Dangers of visceral fat - A comprehensive explanation of the most dangerous type of fat.
- Fall asleep on a dime - Strategies for better sleep.
- Sleep deprivation - How it can wreak havoc on your health.
- Dr. Michael Lucia - Discusses ramifications of poor sleep.
- What is fascia - How this white webbing can affect everything you do and feel.
- The cumulative injury cycle - A manual for your body.
- Why the bacteria in your gut matters - From immune system, disease, to your brain, it matters.
- Why you shouldn't eat until you're full - Full isn't what you think it is.
- Genes, heredity, and your health - New research is showing that a lot of it is within our control.
- Breathing for performance - How to correct breathing for better posture.
- A visual guide to carb tolerance and weight gain - How to use habits to create permanent weight loss.
- The non-sexy boring guide to weight loss - How to use habits to create permanent weight loss.
- Understanding your carbohydrate tolerance - When a human body harvests more energy into fat storage rather than oxidation, is when we have obesity.
- Build a better coffee - From what kind of coffee to buy to what you should put in it when performance matters.
- Horrors of rapid weight loss - Why it's in your best interest to go slowly.
- The alarming diabetes food pyramid - How the food pyramid led us astray.
- Are you running low on fats - How not enough fats in your diet can affect your health.
- Diabesity: the marriage of obesity and diabetes - Diabetes will become the top killer.
- Our best friend sugar - The gateway to many diseases is sugar.
- How humans were evolved to eat - A break down on evolutionary eating.
- Don't be fooled by the health industry - They know a lot less than you think.
- Understanding your cholesterol - How to be your own expert at reading cholesterol
- Gluten-free is the new low-fat - Sometimes exchanging one thing for another makes things worse.
- Late night eating - Food timing can increase likelihood for weight gain.
- How to read food labels - The art of reading food labels.
- Sugar: The Bitter Truth - The seminal talk by Robert Lustig.
- What cooking oils to use - We consume lots of antioxidants, don't ruin it with oils that are carcinogens.
- Dr. Terry Wahls - A TED talk where this doctor talks about how she treated her multiple sclerosis with diet.
- Dr. Dayspring and Gary Taubes - Two of the best in the field on diet discuss misconceptions and dangers.
- Leading doctors discuss sugar, gluten, paleo, vegan, and the microbiome - What happens when you get together some of the leading minds in medicine? You leave with a lot of takeaways.
- Dr. Tara Dall - Discusess women's health.
- The law of calories - Why it's not as simple as you've been told.
- Do you know the differences between fats? - So much confusion regarding fats. You know you need them, but what kinds?
- Manufacturing addiction - What food companies do to make you addicted.
- How exercise makes you smarter - Understand how exercise improves your intelligence to mood.
- The brain diet connection - How your diet affects things like dementia to Alzheimer's.
- Should breakfast be protein or carbs? - How protein keeps you alert.
- The mind body brain axis - How your mind doesn't just exist in your brain, and thoughts on how to make an ultra smart baby.
- Leveling up your brain - How our brain needs multiple fuel options.
- Empathy is hardwired into the brain - And how it was a key to our survival.
- Villagers live longer - How social interactions helps you live longer and why we have our clients constantly interact with one another.
- The worlds best discuss the brain - Top doctors and experts in the field talk neurodegenerative diseases.
- How low-fat diets and statins may cause Alzheimer's - Both a low-fat diet and statin drug treatment increases susceptibility to Alzheimer's.
Here's a list of pivotal books: Books I Read
Sam Yang from an early age has been obsessed with connecting the dots between martial arts and efficiency, health, mindset, business, science, and habits to improve optimal well-being. For more info, join his newsletter. You can also connect to All Out Effort on Facebook and Twitter.